Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Catching up with Netflix (or Cable Free TV)

I do not miss having cable, I don't. Ask me again and I will tell you the same thing. We have been cable free now for two years, I dare you to try it. With two kids, a mortgage, car payments and cell phone bills, cable is just wasted money anyway. We have a digital antenna which actually yields a better quality picture on my 55' LED Samsung (pre-kids purchase) than cable anyway and gets many  HD channels. Besides, there is never anything to watch when you actually have time to watch it (with kids and work there isn't time) and why pay the extra for DVR when you can just spend $10 a month to have Netflix?

Catching up on Netflix

We have recently been using the Netflix streaming service to catch up on both old and new shows. There is literally anything you could ever want and even not want to watch on there.
I guess I need to explain what Netflix is, for those that do not know. Netflix is a DVD by mail service that also offers digital instant streaming. Instant streaming means that you pick a show or series you wish to watch and you can watch it instantly over the device of your choice. Just about anything can run it, XBox 360, PS3, Wii, Blu Ray Players, Smart phones, computers, Smart TV's, iPad, Android Tablets, so there is a way for you to always get the instant shows you want to watch.
With Netflix the shows are listed by category to make it easier to find anything under the sun.
  • Recently released
  • Children's
  • Drama
  • TV
  • Comedy
  • Horror
  • Action
  • Romance
  • Documentary
And within each are sub categories so you can be really picky, especially for your kids there are age groups listed under children's' shows as well.
Our Netflix Instant Queue
 Currently, we are watching Warehouse 13 which is a show on SyFy that is a lot like the old Friday the 13th series, just updated. Right now seasons 1 and 2 are on Netflix instant and the bonus is that there are no commercials for any TV show. If you do need to stop watching you can always resume the movie or show from the last place you left off which is great for a busy family.

We have also added many movies to our queue and other TV series such as Billy the Exterminator, Cake Boss, Hoarders, Parking Wars, Dresden Files, Voltron, Street Sharks, and many more with new movies and shows added frequently.

With all of these choices for only $10 a month, how could you justify paying for cable at all, I can't.
So, do yourself a favor, drop cable, you won't miss it.

3 comments:

  1. I'd drop it if I wouldn't miss sports so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am not the Hockey fan that you are and most of the sports I care to watch is on regular TV so I will never miss a moment of the Browns and Indians losing. I am a Michigan Wolverines fan and catch most of the games but if it is not on regular TV there is always BW3 and Frickers.

      Delete